Thursday, May 14, 2009

Student Loan Debt Consolidation,You Have Options

By Dave Owen

There are a number of ways that students can find relief from debt by consolidating their bills. If you are in up to your neck in student loans, you need to be aware of the fact that there are several alternatives for relieving your debt.

For starters, you must determine the loan amount and type you owe. Next, you will need to contact the lenders or college financial agents and request a loan drop. If you have more debt than you can handle, this is probably the best solution for consolidating your debts. If you fail to seek debt consolidation answers then you are at risk of lawsuits, tax refund losses, and the possibly of wage garnishes. The decision on whether or not you can receive a cancellation will be dependent on the properties of the loan. The type of loan you acceptedtook out, when it was received, and the amount of the loan.

Even though it is not likely, some schools have been known to issue loans under false pretense. If you are in this category, you can demand a cancellation of the loan.

If you suffered from an accident or became disabled for life as the result of an accident or illness, you can ask for a the loan to be cancelled. Some military personnel and particular organization members may qualify for a cancellation of student loans. If you are able to get the loan dropped, that money can be used to restore your credit and eliminate other debts.

Also, if you have kept up your monthly installments with good faith until times got hard, you may qualify for a postponement in payments. This would be a deferment request. The lenders may provide you with the "forbearance" option if you request a deferment. The term "forbearance" means that the lenders will reduce your student payments for a short time until you are back on track.

As a student, you have a few ways to address your debts if you are presently in over your head. Do not take for granted that you have no solution. It is better to spend your time researching instead of distressing.

About the Author:

No comments: